Child Life Disaster Relief
Call for Board Nominations
Child Life Disaster Relief, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is currently seeking new members to join our Board of Directors. We are seeking a minimum of three volunteers to serve a three-year term on the Board of Directors, starting in 2020. Disasters disproportionally affect the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from disadvantaged and LGBTQ communities. We believe these communities must be centered in the work we do. CLDR seeks diverse board members from around the country who possess substantial leadership
skills and are equipped for strategic leadership in order to drive the growth and impact of our organization.
To empower and support children and families in crises by integrating child life professionals’ services into impacted communities. Through individualized direct services, community outreach, education, and research, Child Life Disaster Relief mitigates the effects of traumatic events on children and families.
To develop a coordinated and global network to ensure that children in disasters and crises have the tools and support needed to promote positive coping and resilience.
How You Can Help
The next several years promise to be exciting for CLDR. We are looking for enterprising board members to play a central role in implementing the mission, as we look to the future. CLDR currently is in need of board members with the following expertise (you do not have to possess this expertise to be considered):
- Disaster relief & logistics support
- Human Resources
- Legal (contracts, non-profit)
- Marketing & communications
- Finance & Accounting
Board Member Qualifications
We are interested in candidates who have some of the following personal and professional abilities (in no particular order):
- Visionary and future-focused, possessing an entrepreneurial spirit and critical mind.
- Strategic decision-makers who, in partnership with staff leadership, utilize a range of planning approaches and tools.
- Effective communicators, who understand the importance of good communication at all levels.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for the mission on behalf of all those CLDR serves.
- Willingness to be constructive critics.
- Appreciate the strength that diversity, inclusion, and inquiry bring to deliberation and decision-making.
Some combination of the following list of capabilities is desirable. It is not expected that board members will have all capabilities.
- Ability to support CLDR’s ongoing fundraising efforts by making connections, identifying donors, and when able, soliciting funds through the board member’s organization or others.
- Ability to network within the community and use their professional connections to build relationships, generate leads and identify opportunities to support the vision and mission of CLDR.
- During board membership term participate fully in and / or chair at least one standing or ad hoc committee.
CLDR Board Members commit to an average of 5 – 8 hours a month, including a monthly 2-hour board meeting plus additional tasks and committee responsibilities as determined. NOTE: All board meetings are conducted over Zoom video conferencing as our board members are in different locations around the country.
If you wish to be considered as a candidate or nominate someone for the Board of Directors, please contact our Nominating Committee chair Colleen Maguire at [email protected] for more information and a board candidate application.